Thursday, March 24, 2011

Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken With Ginger and Yogurt

I haven't posted in months because I have raging morning sickness.  Happy to be expecting baby 3, but too sick to think about anything but oddly eggplant parmesan and veggie mexican food. Now that I see a light at the end of the morning sickness tunnel, I'm starting to think about food I'd like to cook when I feel better.

I love curry and this looks simple and good. I love my slow cooker, but my husband has sworn not to eat anymore beef stew or "tired chicken." Sweetie, this one is for you!


1/3 cup tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10)
kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ¾ cup water. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
Just before serving, add the yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.

From Real Simple, March 2011.

1 comment:

  1. So I made this the other night. Honestly, it smelled wonderful - even the neighbors could smell it. But it fell short on flavor. It wasn't exactly bland, it just had a flatness to it, lack of complexity and depth. I will make it again because it was simple and my husband thought it was ok, but I won't make it when I'm craving Indian food - it doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete