Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Coffee Ice Cream - Philadelphia Style

So my 10 minutes of research has informed me that if you make a non-custard style ice cream, it's known as "Philadelphia" or "New York" or "American" style. I've also learned that without stabilizers (shout-out to you, soy lecithin) found in commercial ice creams, this needs to be eaten straight away, it doesn't freeze well. That's probably not an issue for this pregnant lady, inhaling ice cream is one of my new hobbies.

I'm kind of bummed about the instant coffee granules as the base of the flavor, seems like you'd want to use good coffee. This will require some experimenting, I will update with my findings.


1 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp instant coffee (decaf if you prefer)
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: dark chocolate chunks or crushed chocolate cookies

Mix milk, sugar, and coffee with an electric mixer or whisk so that sugar and coffee dissolve in the milk.

Add cream and vanilla and stir.

Pour into your ice cream maker.

Mix until thick about 25-30 minutes or according to manufacturer's instructions.

If using chocolate chunks, pour into the mixture during the last minute of churning.

No comments:

Post a Comment