Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Alder Pastry and Dessert


Our friend Matt Zack, from way, way back has opened a new and fabulous pastry shop in Portland, OR - Alder Pastry and Dessert.

For what it's worth, I can more than vouch for his skills. When he was barely out of high school, before attending culinary school, he and my brother worked at a pastry shop and they made our wedding cake. They weren't even old enough to drink yet. I'm trying to dig way back in the time machine, before digital photos, to find a picture of that cake. It was beautiful and delicious. Since then he has attended culinary school, worked in NYC, earned accolades as a James Beard-featured "StarChef" as pastry chef at Walla Walla's 26Brix, and later at his own shop, Colville St. Patisserie. Quite a resume for a skater kid from Texas (and that's the short version).

So fifteen years later, he has opened his newest pastry shop on E. Burnside. When you're in Portland, stop by and say hello for me - my brother did yesterday!













1 comment:

  1. Matt Zack, always friendly and polite. I can say, I knew him when! Best of luck with their new shop!

    ReplyDelete